.

Special Thanks to

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Meet the Cast: Jason Gray













JASON GRAY


When did you know you wanted to be an actor?

I would say it was during a summer camp production of Oklahoma!, when I got to play the brooding loner, Jud Fry. I got so wrapped up in the part that I began to isolate myself from fellow cast members. I would stalk around backstage in all my Jud Fry meanness, staring kids down. I realized that acting enabled me to do, say, and feel things that real life wouldn't allow.


How did you come to work on this production?

Eric was directing me in a production of The Cripple of Inishmaan at the Stella Adler Studio. One day he told me about this project, Yorktown, that he was putting together and asked if I wanted to be a part of it.


List three adjectives that describe your character.

Earnest, dutiful, courteous...a 'mench' in other words.


How are you 18th century? What about the 21st century could you not live without?

Freedom.


What is your heritage?

African-American, with a splash of Native American.


If you could have lunch with an important historical figure, who would it be? Why?

Picasso. Mainly because we share the same birthday, and from what I've read about him, we share certain strengths and weaknesses when it comes to creating art. Not that I'm saying I'm Picasso reincarnated or anything...that would be silly...


What is your favorite part of the rehearsal process?

Getting into costume for the first time. Playing dress-up will never get old.


If you could make any fictional character real, who would it be? Why?

Belize from Angels in America for reasons of obvious badassness. That's the kind of person I'd love to tell everyone I was friends with...like 'Have you met my boy, Belize? He is a TRIP."

No comments:

Post a Comment